Why I Stepped Into My Own Creative Raffle Bowl
Why I Stepped Into My Own Creative Raffle Bowl
For many months, one of my favourite parts of Louder Than Letters has been the Creative Raffle Bowl.
It was never created to promote myself.
It was created because I know how difficult it is for independent writers, artists, illustrators, poets, and creators to be seen. Behind every book, painting, photograph, podcast, or piece of music is someone who has invested countless hours, sleepless nights, and an incredible amount of hope into creating something meaningful.
Many creators never receive the recognition they deserve.
That is why Creative Raffle Bowl exists.
Every week, I try to shine a light on someone else's work, hoping that one recommendation, one shared story, or one new reader might make a difference to their creative journey.
This week, however, I did something different.
For the very first time, I became the featured creator.
It wasn't an easy decision.
I've always found it easier to celebrate other people's achievements than to talk about my own. Yet I realised that every creator has a story worth telling—including mine.
Writing has never been about fame, bestseller lists, or recognition for me.
It has always been about understanding people, surviving difficult seasons of life, and giving a voice to emotions that often remain hidden behind a smile.
Today, I have published 18 books, spanning romance, literary fiction, tragedy, comedy, poetry, children's colouring books, and other genres. Although these books may appear different on the surface, they all share one purpose: exploring the many faces of life.
Every chapter asks a question.
Every character represents someone who could exist.
Every ending carries a lesson, a hope, or a reflection.
Some stories speak about love.
Others speak about loss.
Some explore human vulnerability and relationships, while others gently remind us that healing is possible even after life has left its scars.
Recently, I also began a completely new journey by creating children's colouring books featuring The Grumpy Old Man, Pixel, and Midnight.
People have asked why I chose to write for children after publishing novels for adults.
The answer is simple.
Children deserve stories that encourage imagination, kindness, and time spent together with the people they love. If my work can help create even one happy memory between a parent and a child, then I believe it has found its purpose.
Throughout this journey, I've also had the privilege of helping another author bring their own book into the world. Experiences like that remind me that creativity grows stronger when we support one another instead of competing against one another.
Like many independent creators, my journey hasn't always been easy.
There have been moments of disappointment, books that didn't reach enough readers, projects that demanded countless hours of work, and times when I questioned whether anyone was listening.
Yet I continue.
Not because success is guaranteed, but because stories still matter.
Compassion still matters.
People still matter.
If there is one thing I hope readers take away from my books and my podcast, it is that every person carries a story we know nothing about. A little kindness, a little patience, and a little understanding can change someone's life far more than we often realise.
If you would like to explore my work, you'll find all of my books, articles, podcasts, and creative projects here on my blog, with links to their Amazon pages.
Thank you for supporting independent creators.
Thank you for reading.
And thank you for believing that stories still have the power to bring people together.
— Jacob Mascarenhas
