Tuesday, 1 September 2026

The Quiet Champions: Why We Rise Together

The Quiet Champions: Why We Rise Together


Dear Readers,

There are moments in life when we become so focused on our own struggles that we forget to look around and notice the people quietly creating something beautiful. Yesterday evening on Louder Than Letters, I wanted to step away from the heaviness of past conversations and turn my attention toward something I believe we all need more of—kindness, empathy, encouragement, and community.

Life can sometimes teach us to protect ourselves. Disappointment, rejection, hurt, and difficult experiences can make us close our doors and stop trusting people. But I have learned that surviving difficult seasons should not mean becoming blind to the goodness that still exists around us. Sometimes, after experiencing enough darkness, we begin to appreciate even the smallest light.

That is why I have become intentional about looking for good people.

I look for the writer who continues writing even when nobody is reading. I look for the artist who keeps creating when the room is silent. I look for the musician who spends hours searching for the right melody. I look for the chef who puts love, culture, memory, and patience into a meal. I look for the small business owner who continues opening the doors every morning. I look for the photographer, entrepreneur, poet, storyteller, and countless others who are creating something meaningful in their own way.

These are our quiet champions.

We often measure success through numbers—followers, likes, streams, sales, views, awards, and recognition. But humanity does not have an algorithm. Someone does not have to be famous for their work to matter. Sometimes one person reaching another person is enough.

And that is where empathy becomes more than an idea.

Empathy is action. It is choosing to support someone when we have the opportunity to do so. It might be sharing someone's work, listening to their music, buying from a small business, reading their writing, attending their performance, leaving an encouraging comment, or simply telling someone, “I see what you're doing. Keep going.”

We never truly know what another person is carrying behind the smile, the photograph, the book, the song, the business, or the finished piece of art. What looks effortless from the outside may have taken countless sleepless nights, moments of doubt, sacrifice, and courage.

That is why I believe in lifting people.

I don't want Louder Than Letters to be simply another place where I sit behind a microphone and talk. I want it to become a place where people are heard. A place where stories are discovered. A place where creativity is appreciated. A place where someone can find a creator they may never have discovered otherwise.

And this isn't only about people who are unknown. Some of the people I may celebrate may already be famous. They may already have enormous audiences and recognition around the world. They don't need me to make them important. But that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate what they create. I may be a small voice in a very big world, but being small does not prevent me from appreciating greatness.

The same applies to poets.

There are beautiful poems being written every day by people who have not yet published a book. Some are preparing their first collection, while others are simply writing because poetry is how they express what words cannot otherwise explain. I want to give some of those voices an opportunity to be heard through special videos where I will read selected poems in my own voice.

Ultimately, this new chapter of Louder Than Letters is not about making myself bigger. It is about making room for others.

I may not be able to change the entire world. But perhaps I can change one person's day. Perhaps I can help one creator reach another reader, listener, customer, or admirer. Perhaps I can remind someone who is quietly wondering, “Does any of this matter?” that their work does matter.

Because we do not have to stand above one another.

We can stand beside one another.

And perhaps that is how we rise—not by pushing someone else down, but by reaching out a hand and helping them stand.

We rise together.

Read. Reflect. Remember.

Because every life is a story worth keeping.

Jacob Mascarenhas

Author • Podcaster • Storyteller