Behind the Silence: Helping a Poetry Collection Find Its Voice
By Jacob Mascarenhas
Dear Readers,
Every book begins long before it is published.
It starts with a thought, a memory, a wound, a question, or sometimes a silence that refuses to leave us alone. For poet Soma Bhadury, that silence became Symphony of Silence: A Collection of Healing Poetry.
When Soma first shared her manuscript with me, I immediately sensed the honesty within her words. These were not poems written to impress. They were poems written to understand, to heal, and to gently reach out to others who may be carrying unseen burdens of their own.
The poetry itself belongs entirely to Soma. The emotions, experiences, reflections, and healing journey expressed throughout the collection are hers alone. My role was simply to help transform that vision into a finished book.
As an illustrator, editor, formatter, and fellow writer, I assisted with the visual presentation of the collection, including illustrations, formatting, manuscript preparation, and the technical aspects required for publication. It was a collaborative process built on a shared desire to create something meaningful and accessible for readers.
What made this project special was not merely the publication itself, but the message at its heart. Symphony of Silence reminds us that healing is rarely dramatic. More often, it happens quietly. It unfolds in small moments of reflection, in the courage to face old wounds, and in the willingness to begin again.
Working on this book reinforced something I have always believed: creative journeys should not be walked alone. Behind every published book stands a writer who took a risk by sharing a piece of themselves with the world. Sometimes all they need is encouragement, guidance, or someone willing to help bring their vision to life.
Seeing Symphony of Silence move from manuscript to published collection was deeply rewarding. Not because I helped create it, but because I had the privilege of witnessing another author find her voice and share it with readers.
I hope this collection reaches those who need it most — the people carrying quiet grief, hidden struggles, unanswered questions, and hearts searching for a little light.
Because sometimes the most powerful stories are not the ones shouted from rooftops.
Sometimes they are found in the silence.
And sometimes, that silence becomes a symphony.
— Jacob Mascarenhas
Author • Podcaster • Storyteller
